If you have a fire or water emergency, please call us now at (617) 567-3777

To have the optimal experience while using this site, you will need to update your browser. You may want to try one of the following alternatives:

Fire & Water - Cleanup & Restoration


2/9/2016 (Permalink)

Carbon Monoxide keeping it out of your home

Carbon monoxide is a colorless, odorless, and tasteless gas that is  less dense than air. In concentrations over 35 parts per million it is toxic. It is formed when there is not enough oxygen in the blood to convert the oxidization of compounds containing carbon.
It is used in the chemical industry for a variety of things some of which the processing of things like coal into diesel fuel  itiis also used to make Acetic acid which is the main component of Vinegar, You have got that right it helps us make vinegar. Which is used for hundreds of things. So why does everyone make suck a big deal about it then?
It is found naturally within the environment and even used on purpose to keep things such as beef, pork, and fish looking more fresh as we stated earlier it does interact with the blood keeping it more cherry red and the appearance of freshness.
The amounts found naturally are not enough to really hurt you normally but the overall places it can be found in your home is another story. 

Carbon monoxide inhibits the delivery of oxygen to the body and its tissues.  Due to the fact that it is odorless, colorless, and tasteless makes it so dangerous. Making sure you have a battery backed up carbon monoxide detector in multiple rooms and levels of your home will ensure the best possible results.
Carbon Monoxide symptoms included but are not limited to fatigue, headache, nausea, vomiting, dizziness and overall weakness. Infants can seem overly irritable and feed poorly. There can be neurological symptoms such as confusion disorientation fainting and even seizures. Not all of these symptoms may be present nor does it mean that if you have these symptoms you have carbon monoxide poisoning but they are good things to keep in mind and be aware of.
In the United States an average of more than 500 people die every year and thousands are hospitalized. How does this happen?  The main reason is we live indoors and utilize equipment within our homes that produce this toxic gas if it is not working properly. The right ventilation and some common sense are all extremely important in preventing problems from carbon monoxide.
Any equipment that burns fuel such as furnaces, water heaters, room heaters, stoves, portable generators, fireplaces, and even garages where there is not enough ventilation and a car that is left running or a small leak in the exhaust system can produce carbon monoxide and circulate it into the car or home. Below you will find a list from the center for disease control that will help prevent carbon monoxide within your home.
Install a battery-operated or battery back-up CO detector in your home and check or replace the battery when you change the time on your clocks each spring and fall. Place your detector where it will wake you up if it alarms, such as outside your bedroom. Consider buying a detector with a digital readout. This detector can tell you the highest level of CO concentration in your home in addition to alarming. Replace your CO detector every five years.
Have your heating system, water heater, and any other gas, oil, or coal burning appliances serviced by a qualified technician every year.
Do not use portable flameless chemical heaters indoors.
If you smell an odor from your gas refrigerator have an expert service it. An odor from your gas refrigerator can mean it could be leaking CO.
When you buy gas equipment, buy only equipment carrying the seal of a national testing agency, such as Underwriters’ Laboratories.
Make sure your gas appliances are vented properly. Horizontal vent pipes for appliances, such as a water heater, should go up slightly as they go toward outdoors, as shown below. This prevents CO from leaking if the joints or pipes aren’t fitted tightly.
Have your chimney checked or cleaned every year. Chimneys can be blocked by debris. This can cause CO to build up inside your home or cabin.
Never patch a vent pipe with tape, gum, or something else. This kind of patch can make CO build up in your home, cabin, or camper.
Never use a gas range or oven for heating. Using a gas range or oven for heating can cause a build up of CO inside your home, cabin, or camper.
Never burn charcoal indoors. Burning charcoal - red, gray, black, or white - gives off CO.
Never use a portable gas camp stove indoors. Using a gas camp stove indoors can cause CO to build up inside your home, cabin, or camper.
Never use a generator inside your home, basement, or garage or less than 20 feet from any window, door, or vent.
We want you to be safe and enjoy every bit of modern life but make sure you are doing so safely.  If you have any questions please let us know and we will work with you to get your home as safe as possible. Remember when you do have an issue SERVPRO of East Boston Charlestown and Chelsea and Revere will make it like it never even happened.

Other News

View Recent Posts